Mon 20 Aug: No Class at Papanui, see you on another night.
Everyone welcome - no experience necessary.
- Two left feet welcome.
- Come on your own or with a friend - no need to book.
- Start any time
Cost and New Dancer Deal
Your entrance fee covers you for the whole night, not just for the class.
- $15 for the whole evening (EFTPOS available).
- $11 for full time students, Community Service card & SuperGold card holders.
6 for 3 Deal - 6 classes for the price of 3
Save 50% when you pay up front for 3 classes to get 6 credits that can be used at classes and social events.
Available to new dancers on their first night. Credits are valid for 6 months and are not transferable.
Format of Each Night
Aim to arrive from around 7:15pm especially if you're new.
- 7:25pm Beginner Class
- We teach moves from our Beginner Sets. This is where you get meet other beginner dancers. At 8.30pm we have a Beginner Review to consolidate what you have learned in the class and get one to one assistance from the taxi dancers.
- 8.15pm Social Dancing
- This is a good time to practice what you have learned, get help from the taxis and catch up with friends.
- 8.30pm Intermediate Class
- Learn some more challenging moves and techniques. At 9.00pm We have an intermediate class review with the teacher.
- 9.00pm Social Dancing
- We turn the lights down and its time to party. Ask people for a dance - men ask women, women ask men. Finish 10pm / 10:15pm
We have classes 5 nights a week around Christchurch. Each night has its own feel so we suggest you try them out before settling down to your preferred one.
- Monday at Papanui
- Wide range of ages with more up beat music. 40 - 60 people.
- Tuesday in Sydenham
- Older music and hence an older crowd.
- Wednesday (OMJ) in Avonhead
- Newer music more popular with 18 - 35's. 90 - 110 people.
- Thursday in Shirley
- Wide range of music and ages. 90 - 110 people.
- Friday in Avonhead
- Wide range of music and ages. 50 - 90 people.
Bring a water bottle with your name on it! We hire all the venues we use and some of them have limited facilities:
- Tuesdays: we do not have access to water but we have water for sale.
- Thursdays: we have access to water but limited cups - so please bring a water bottle which you can refill there.
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday have water and cups.
Our Cultures & Values
A Quick Summary:
- We encourage participating and discourage watching - people in the class don't like being watched. We do make the odd exception so please contact the venue manager if you have a specific requirement.
- We rotate in the group classes - it's the quickest way to learn. Private lessons are available at all levels and occasionally new dancers like to take a couple before joining the main group classes.
- We respect the private of others - please refrain from video recording.
- Health and safety: barefoot dancing is not permitted and heel caps are required for heels smaller than a 20c coin.
- We will give you a full refund if you are not happy.
See Cultures & Values for more information.