Avonhead Dance Classes - Wednesdays
Avonhead School, 55 Avonhead Road
Wednesday has a lively atmosphere with between 70 and 100 people attending. The hall has a huge floor and we provide mood lighting making this a really popular mid-week night out. There is water at the venue but no cups so please bring a named water bottle with you.
This is our OMJ night (Ōtautahi Modern Jive), OMJ is a group within Fevah for dancers keen to keep up with latest music releases as well as dancing to classic hits. Dancers are any age but are mainly in the 18 - 35 range.
||Doors open / new dancers
||Intermediate Class / Beginners Review
We start with the basics followed by three moves which you can use in your social dancing. You do not need a partner as we rotate regularly in the class, however you can also stay with a partner if that is your preference.
Included in the evening is a 30 minute review session to ask questions and get one to one assistance.
Learn some more challenging moves and techniques!
We teach 2-3 moves, one of which may be repeated from the previous week. We include extra technique points to help with safety and style. After the class is a review with the teacher to ask questions and get one to one assistance.
As the intermediate class is more challenging than beginners dancers need to complete a Skills Check with a teacher before moving up to intermediate.
Social dancing or freestyle is when we turns the lights down and enjoy continuous music until the end of the night.
This is a great time to meet other dancers, practise moves and dance skills to wide variety of music to suit all tastes.
- $16 for the evening
- $12 for Full Time students, Community Service card & SuperGold card holders
- Savings and bonus classes with credits and rewards
- New Beginners Pass - 5 weeks unlimited classes
Venue Map & Information
Avonhead School, 55 Avonhead Road, Avonhead, Christchurch
There is some parking near the hall within the school as well as plenty of street parking nearby.
View from the road
We have use of the staff car park and there is plenty of street parking nearby.
- Do I need a partner?
- You don't need a partner but if you have one then great so come on your own or with a friend
- We rotate partners during the class which allows people to progress much faster than they would if they stayed with the same partner where people end up compensating for each others mistakes
- While rotating is the most effective way to learn there are reasons why a couple may wish to stay together, let our taxi dancers know if you would like to stay with your partner during the class
- When can I start?
- Start anytime and on any day of the week that we run classes. We don't run terms or courses, any week is a good week to start. We get new people starting each week
- No need to book or phone ahead - just turn up
- Check our home page before you come - occasional venue changes occur when a school needs the use of their hall
- What do I wear to class?
- Whatever you feel comfortable in: street, office, smart, casual - it's all good. You will get warm so wear something cool or have a layer you can take off
- Wear comfortable shoes, preferably with a leather sole. Flat soled shoes are better than gym shoes, definitely no stilettos and no bare feet!
- What if I struggle?
- We have dedicated helpers called taxi dancers who are here for the new dancers
- There are no mistakes - only variations. Smile when it goes right 🙂 - laugh when it goes wrong! 😄
- What is the Review?
- The beginner review is a chance to consolidate what you’ve learned from class and meet other beginner dancers
- It’s a great opportunity to ask questions and get one to one assistance from our experienced taxi dancers
- We often split the review into two groups:
- Beginners - recently started
- Improvers - looking to move up to the next level
- How many people attend each night?
- Anywhere between 40 and 120 depending on the night and time of year, so there's quite a buzz to the classes
- What age of people go along?
- We have dancers in their teens through to their seventies
- Everyone's very friendly, check out each class night for specific information
- Anything else?
- Keep hydrated by bringing a water bottle with your name on it
- All venues have access to water