Mon 20 Aug: No Class at Papanui, see you on another night.
Tuesday has a range of music from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's and so generally we get an older crowd coming along. It has a lively atmosphere with between 60 and 80 people mostly aged 35 - 60.
- Christchurch South Intermediate School, 204 Selwyn Street, Sydenham
We have use of the staff car park and there is plenty of parking on Selwyn Street either side of the school entrance. See below for a map and more info. The venue has air conditioning but we don't have access to kitchen facilities so a named water bottle is handy.
Once in a while we have a longer period of social dancing. There will still be a beginner class and review but no intermediate class. Social dancing will then start from 8:15pm.
Our next date is: To be confirmed
We start with the basics followed by learning a few moves which you can immediately start to use in your social dancing.
You can start any week at any venue. Included in the evening is a 30 minute review session to ask questions and get one to one assistance.
We want everyone to have fun and be safe at our dance classes. To help with this we have a Dance WoF (Warrant of Fitness) that we ask everyone to pass before joining an intermediate class.
- We teach 2-3 moves, one of which may be repeated from the previous week.
- We'll include extra technique points to help with safety and style.
- There are 20 base moves and technique points that are often included each class.
After the class is a review with the teacher to ask questions and get one to one assistance.
There is no intermediate class when we have an extended freestyle night; instead we may have a summary of the previous weeks moves. Check the announcements at class for more details.
Social dancing / freestyle is the time to have some fun and put it all into practice. We turn the lights down and the volume up for party time!
|8:15 - 8:30||Easy tempo, shorter songs|
|9:00 - 10pm||Great music variety!|
We encourage everyone to ask each other to dance, sometimes this can be a little daunting but our culture is to accept invitations to dance and there's no pecking order!
After we often head to McDonalds on Brougham St. We also have our own Facebook group for dancers who regularly attend Tuesdays:
Chch South Intermediate
- 204 Selwyn Street, Sydenham
- From Brougham Street turn south into Selwyn Street. After 200m turn left where the road curves to the right becoming Coronation Street (where the famous TV series is made - not!)
- There is plenty of parking on Selwyn Street on either side of the school entrance.
- Go through the main gate, the hall is on the left. Enter by the main foyer.