That's it for this year - we hope you had a great time!
A BIG Thank you to:
- all competitors, judges and spectators for coming to our competition.
- all our support crew for making it happen.
See you at the OMJ Winter Weekend in July or next year!
16 - 18 March 2018, Christchurch, New Zealand
The Christchurch Modern Jive Championships is one of the most popular Modern Jive competitions in Australasia. We're looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hornby Working Mens Club, 17 Carmen Rd, Hornby, Christchurch.
The 2018 Champs is a 3 DAY event, however there's no need to attend all three days in order to attend or compete.
- Friday - DAY 1: Welcome Party, Showcases
- Saturday - DAY 2: Main Competition: Freestyle, DWAS, Lucky Dip, Music Mashup, Teams etc.
- Sunday - DAY 3: Brunch, Masters Competition plus Aerials & 140+ (new category), and Final Party
We're very excited with the new format; Modern Jive has been in New Zealand for over 25 years and so there are dancers who will be thrilled to enter a dedicated competition for anyone 40 or over with categories for 50+ and 60+.
We're looking forward to seeing you in March!
Deb, Matt and the Champs Team
3 Days of Events
If you're aiming to survive the whole weekend, we recommend giving yourself a day off on Monday, take time to recover and savour the amazing time you will have had. Keep dancing until the end of the Final Party on Sunday.
If you're visiting from outside Christchurch why not take the time to have a look around on the Monday and see how our new city is taking shape or visit some of the many attractions we have here.
Friday - DAY 1: Welcome Party and Showcases
- Champs Welcome Party at the competition venue
- Judges Jack n Jill - judged by members of the audience!
- Delicious finger food.
Saturday - DAY 2: Main Competition
- We'll start around 9:30 a.m.
- Plenty of social dancing with people from around NZ and Australia.
- You can stay at the venue over the dinner break to have dinner and dance to our chillout mix.
- No 45+ this year on the Saturday, all Masters categories will be held on Sunday (DAY 3).
Sunday - DAY 3: Brunch, Masters Competition, Aerials, 140+, Final Party
The growing number of more mature dancers means we can now run a dedicated group of events for a number of age categories. We'll also have our aerials category and a new 140+ category open to all ages where the music for the event will be over 140bpm to put the dancers through their paces.
- Competition from 12:30 p.m. with more age categories: 40+, 50+, 60+
- Final Party for social dancing
An Event to Remember
What you'll remember is not how many categories you entered but how you felt. So this is what we're committed to giving you:
- Friendly, welcoming atmosphere.
- Great variety of music.
- Fanatical attention to detail.
- Unexpectedly good food (the club do great food!)
This our group for our annual Modern Jive Championships weekend - one of the biggest modern jive events in Australasia. Definitely join if you're interested in competing!
This is a closed group so you can click on the "+ join group" button to send us a membership request.
Registration is required for anyone who wants to:
- Enter the competition
- Purchase spectator tickets
- Purchase discounted Friday party tickets
After entries close Friday night and Spectator tickets will be available on the door but lunch and dinner bookings close. You can still sign in to check your events.
What You Should Read