At Fevah we're passionate about our dance community and we also enjoy how competitions support social dancing:
- Competition categories promote skills that make us better social dancers
- We compete to push ourselves and pursue self-development along with others to make us better social dancers
In 2019, Deb and I (Matt) danced in Australia, NZ, England, Wales and Bali with dancers from many countries and studios. We could dance with anyone from anywhere to any music. It made little difference:
- What foot our partner used
- What type of lead: body, arm or whether moving with (concertina) or moving away from our partner
- Alignment of the dance, whether linear or clrcle (linear has been popular over the last 10 years due to slower music, circular works well with fast music)
What did make a difference was:
- Partnering skills
- Listening to the music
- Making your partner smile 😊
We have 3 groups of criteria that support the aims of social partner dancing: Musicality, Synergy and Spirit.
All dancers should show some of all of these elements. We have represented the three groups in a pyramid to suggest Musicality, including timing and interpretation, is an important base and must exist in some measure or the other tiers will topple.
Synergy includes partnership and technique, vital elements for two people creating a dance that is greater than what either of them could do on their own.
Spirit emphasises the attitude that the dancers bring and includes participation, inclusion and joy.