Freestyle is dancing with a partner of your choice to a song we provide. Couples often practice to improve their skills and chances of progressing through to the next round.
A key point is that freestyle dancing must not have any choreographed component, the sequence of moves is created on the fly. Choreographed sequences can result in a lower ranking.
We usually run a repechage to give everyone a second chance and in the case of a large competition we may invite a group of top competitors from Level 4 into a separate event if it appears this will enhance the competition.
Freestyle is subdivided into levels according to the points of the competitors. Dancers enter as a couple with their own chosen partner in the level of the highest level dancer in the partnership.
You must stick to your role - lead or follow - for the duration of the dance.
- Dancers may enter one level i.e. Level 1, 2, 3 or 4
- Level 1: both partners must be Level 1.
- Level 2: the highest level partner must be Level 2.
- Level 3: the highest level partner must be Level 3.
- Level 4: the highest level partner must be Level 4.