We have a number of workshops and sessions designed to refresh your dance skills and knowledge.
We're introducing 'Dance Adjacent' workshops to the weekend. These workshops involve interactive presentations to help dancers better understand how to look after their bodies, keep them in tip top condition and reduce the risk of injury.
Open to all dancers who may an interest in this topic even if you are not interested in judging itself.
As far as we're aware this is a New Zealand first for Modern Jive and we're offering this workshop at a considerable discount to mark this special occasion.
There're are two streams:
- Judge Stream is for judges whose scores have contributed to competitors' final placings
- Observer Stream is for anyone else who is keen to expand their knowledge of what's involved behind the scenes.
Online participation begins in September and then concludes with a session on Refresh Friday 6:00pm - 7:30m
Lower Limb Biomechanics
Join one of NZ's top dance podiatrists in this ground breaking workshop for Modern Jive dancers. This will be an interactive workshop with useful information and practical tips to address dance related issues.
- top 7 dance injuries
- injuries specific to Modern Jive
- lower limb biomechanics and how dance biomechanics is different from 'normal' biomechanics and how this can impact on recovery and return to sport
- dance-specific strength and flexibility rehabilitation exercises to reduce the occurrence of dance injuries and also to reduce the injury recovery time to return to dance
Sunday, 10am - 11am
Presented by Georgina Barr from Merivale Podiatry.
Mobility, Control, Active Health
Our second dance adjacent workshop will focus on overall strength, mobility and control for dancers including:
- Warming up
- Strengthening and mobility exercises
Sunday, 11:15am - 12:15pm
Presented by Mike Stevenson from Christchurch Physiotherapy.
Dance Skills and Techniques
Sunday, 1pm - 2:30pm
We have the amazing Vanessa Cole booked in to bring you loads of refreshing dance inspiration!