Music Mashup is about throwing different genres, speeds and moods of music at competitors to see who can best adapt their style and dancing to match the music. We came up with the idea for Music Mashup at the Christchurch Champs back in 2013 and since then it's been very popular with competitors.
We'll have two groups based on the sum of the levels of the competitors,
- lower group: sum range is 2 - 5
- upper group: sum range is 6 - 8
So in the lower group a Level 3 competitor can dance with a Level 2, a Level 4 can dance with a Level 1.
Please enter with someone other than your freestyle partner.
We'll play about two and a half minutes of music comprised of 4 - 5 different song clips, each roughly lasting between 30 and 40 seconds.
Specific Judging Criteria
Genre, tempo, mood will vary considerably between each clip, we're looking for the dancers who reflect the change in the music with a change in their dancing - show us what the music looks like.
Responding to the song clips
- We want to see dancers capturing the tempo / genre / mood / melody of each clip.
- Dancers who represent the music with beginner moves are ranked higher than those who use complex moves but do not vary their style.
- We're looking for couples who cope with the widest variety of music and adapt to all the clips.
- We are not looking for the strongest dancers in one particular clip.
The Music of Music Mashup
You'll dance to a wider variety of music in this category than in any other: R&B, Pop, Acoustic, Latin, Rock, Tango, Blues, Jazz, Electro-swing, Disco and so on.
Modern Jive music is usually danced to songs with a time signature of 4/4, but you can also dance to other time signatures such as 6/8. So for one round, we may throw in the odd 6/8 song.
Songs for other categories are usually cut short of their full length, so in Music Mashup we occasionally have a round where we focus on song endings otherwise there will be a controlled fade and small cross-over between clips, this is to test how quickly dancers can respond to a change in the music.