Music is an integral part of any dance class, party or competition. Music is why we are here without it we'd just be some kind of bizarre mime club!
Modern Jive can be danced to a wider range of music than any other partner dance style due to the relaxed emphasis on specific footwork.
The majority of the music we play has a time signature of 4/4 also known as common time but occasionally we'll play a song with Viennese Waltz timing of 6/8. Interestingly, some songs will have a bridge where the timing changes briefly, an example being Round Round by The Sugababes.
Music at Classes
We play a wide variety of music across all our nights in Christchurch. Some nights will focus on particular genres than others according to the age range and preferences of the people who come along.
- Mondays - from the 80's through to current chart hits with a slight emphasis on more recent music.
- Tuesdays - 60's to 90's with more blues, jazz, swing than on other nights.
- Wednesdays - modern music including the latest new releases.
- Thursdays - wide range of music from the 70's through to current chart hits with a slight emphasis on older music.
- Fridays - wide range of music from the 70's through to current chart hits with a wide variety of genres.
Music Over the Years
Since 2006 we've been logging the music we've played at our classes and events (over 100,000 items so far). As far as we know, we're the only dance organisation to do this and it's done here in Christchurch, New Zealand.
It's interesting the see how tastes and music evolves over the years. The list below changes every week!
Rate the songs, click on the Rating column and let us know what music you like.
Get the Wapp!
To see the playlists you need to enable the Web App (Wapp™).