99% of people who start with us have NEVER danced before. Modern Jive is the least intimidating partner dance style to learn first and you'll be amazed what you can accomplish in just one lesson.
But I've got two left feet, I can't dance? Great! That's the whole point - we'll fix that and what's more we'll make it fun and not scary!
We're not saying it's going to be easy but it is achievable and surprisingly fun. Social partner dancing is quite different from how dancing is generally portrayed on TV. Here, there are no judges, no audience - just other likeminded people just looking to participate in something that's so fundamentally human and enjoyable.
When to Start
- Start anytime! We don't run terms or courses, any week is a good week to start. We get new people starting each week.
- You don't need a partner but if you have one then great - come on your own or with a friend.
- Tip: check our home page before you plan to come. Occasional venue changes occur when a school needs the use of their hall.
Your First Class
- Wear whatever clothing you feel comfortable in: street, office, smart, casual - it's all good.
- Give yourself plenty of time, arrive around 7:15pm.
- Flat soled shoes are better than gym shoes, definitely no stilettos and no bare feet!
- We have dedicated helpers called taxi dancers who are here for the new dancers.
There are no mistakes - only variations. Smile when it goes right - laugh when it goes wrong!
Too often in anything in life people give up just before they're about to succeed. At least give the classes 3 goes, because:
- 1st time: you're not alone - for most people, this is their first ever dance class.
- 2nd time: you're now an expert compared to anyone on their first night.
- 3rd time: "Wow it is really starting to click - I think I'm addicted!"
Cost and Special Beginners Offer
Your entrance fee covers you for the whole night, not just for the class.
- $15 for the whole evening (EFTPOS available).
- $11 for full time students, Community Service card & SuperGold card holders.
6 for 3 Deal - 6 classes for the price of 3
Save 50% when you pay up front for 3 classes to get 6 credits that can be used at classes and social events.
Available to new dancers on their first night. Credits are valid for 6 months and are not transferable.
After your first six classes you can then either pay as you go or buy class credits.
While most venues except Christchurch South Intermediate (Tuesdays) have water, it's good idea to bring your own water bottle with your name on it.
Each night has its own feel so feel free to try them all, we suggest you have a quick look at each class night.
Our Cultures & Values - A Quick Summary
- We encourage participating and discourage watching - people in the class don't like being watched. We do make the odd exception so please contact the venue manager if you have a specific requirement.
- We rotate in the group classes - it's the quickest way to learn. Private lessons are available at all levels and occasionally new dancers like to take a couple before joining the main group classes.
- We respect the private of others - please refrain from video recording.
- Health and safety: barefoot dancing is not permitted and heel caps are required for heels smaller than a 20c coin.
- We will give you a full refund if you are not happy.
See Cultures & Values in our Coffee Time section for more information.
More at Coffee Time