Tue 12 Sep: Venue Change to TBD
Gangsters and Molls Party, Sat, 26 Aug from 8:00 p.m., C3 Centre
99% of people who start with us have NEVER danced before. Modern Jive is the least intimidating partner dance style to learn first. We've got you covered right from the start and you'll be amazed what you can accomplish in just one lesson.
We're not saying it's going to be easy but it is achievable and surprisingly fun. Social partner dancing is quite different from how dancing is generally portrayed on TV. Here, there are no judges, no audience - just other likeminded people just looking to participate in something that's so fundamentally human and enjoyable.
When to Start
- Start anytime! We don't run terms or courses, any week is a good week to start. We get new people starting each week.
- Tip: check our home page before you plan to come. Occasional venue changes occur when a school needs the use of their hall.
643 Deal - 6 classes for the price of 3
Save 50% when you pay up front for 3 classes to get 6 credits that can be used at classes and social events.
- Available to new dancers on their first night.
- Credits are valid for 6 months and are not transferable.
Essential Tips For Your First Class
- Wear whatever clothing you feel comfortable in: street, office, smart, casual - it's all good.
- Give yourself plenty of time, arrive around 7:15pm.
- Pay with cash or by EFTPOS (sorry no credit cards).
- Flat soled shoes are better than gym shoes, definitely no stilettos and no bare feet!
Points to Bear in Mind
- Two Left Feet? Can't dance? Well that's kind of the point, we'll fix that!
- There are no mistakes - only variations
- Smile when it goes right - laugh when it goes wrong! (bear in mind previous tip)
- We have dedicated crew called taxi dancers who are here specifically to help the new dancers.
Give it 3 Goes
- 1st time: you're not alone - for most people, this is their first ever dance class.
- 2nd time: you're now an expert compared to anyone on their first night.
- 3rd time: "Wow it is really starting to click - I think I’m addicted!"
Our Cultures & Values - A Quick Summary
- We encourage participating and discourage watching - people in the class don't like being watched. We do make the odd exception so please contact the venue manager if you have a specific requirement.
- We rotate in the group classes - it's the quickest way to learn. Private lessons are available at all levels and occasionally new dancers like to take a couple before joining the main group classes.
- We respect the private of others - please refrain from video recording.
- Health and safety: barefoot dancing is not permitted and heel caps are required for heels smaller than a 20c coin.
- We will give you a full refund if you are not happy.
See Cultures & Values in our Coffee Time section for more information.
- While most venues except Christchurch South Intermediate (Tuesdays) have water, it's good idea to bring your own water bottle with your name on it.
- Each night has its own feel so feel free to try them all, we suggest you have a quick look at each class night.
- See Pricing & Credits for information on standard class prices.